There are many laws and regulations that impact how we, as landlords, provide housing to someone in return for monthly payment.
As a landlord, you must be familiar with numerous laws, from the local to federal level. Local (city, township, county level) legal topics include evictions, zoning, construction, historical sites, permits, signs, property management etc.
Statewide laws cover the same items, but at a more general level. Legislators in Springfield are continually proposing new bills that may become law. These bills/laws range from environmental (i.e. lead poisoning) to policing (i.e. the requirement to evict someone accused of selling drugs). At the federal level, laws exist that are designed to prevent housing discrimination in renting.
Protect yourself and research these laws by using all resources available to you such as the internet, library, etc. You should also have knowledge of credit privacy and credit check regulations.
- City of Joliet Rental Inspection Program
- City of Joliet Building Codes & Permits
- City of Crest Hill Building & Construction Ordinances
- City of Crest Hill Rental Property Information Sheet
- Village of Romeoville Crime Free Housing Ordinance
- City of Naperville Tenant & Landlord Information
- Will County Website
- Will County Building Division
- Will County Adopted Building Codes
- Kendall County Website
- Kendall County Planning & Zoning Ordinances
Court Case Lookup
- 12th Judicial Circuit Court (Will County) Case Lookup
- 23rd Judicial Circuit Court (Kendall County) Case Lookup
Relevant State Statutes
- 765 ILCS 705/ Landlord and Tenant Act.
- 765 ILCS 710/ Security Deposit Return Act.
- 765 ILCS 715/ Security Deposit Interest Act.
- 765 ILCS 720/ Retaliatory Eviction Act.
- 765 ILCS 725/ Property Taxes of Alien Landlords Act.
- 765 ILCS 730/ Rent Concession Act.
- 765 ILCS 735/ Rental Property Utility Service Act.
- 765 ILCS 740/ Tenant Utility Payment Disclosure Act.
- 765 ILCS 742/ Residential Tenants’ Right to Repair Act.
- 765 ILCS 745/ Mobile Home Landlord and Tenant Rights Act.